How successful are you with your New Year resolutions this year? Fitter, wealthier and more fabulous than ever and it is only March? Maybe not? Abandoning goals – especially health goals – within the first week is common place. To make the difference? Have you considered a coach? Accountability central! How committed are you to achieving your goals? A coach is a very effective way to keep you on track.
Psychology professor at Dominican University in California, Dr Gail Matthews, has done many studies on goal setting. Her research showed that people who wrote down their goals, shared this information with someone else, and gave a regular accountability report to that person were 33% more successful in accomplishing their goals than those who did not share their goals with someone else.
The secret to accomplishing what matters most to you is committing your goals in writing and being accountable to someone. This is important for at least five reasons.
- Clarification Often the goal can be vague. Beginning a road trip – you usually have a map and an idea where you are going to buy fuel on the way. Imagine setting out on a trip with no particular destination in mind. What clothes or food do you pack? What major roads do you take? How do you know when you have arrived? The same is true with the milestones in your life. Writing down your goals enables you to select specific destinations.
- Motivation Writing your goals down is only the beginning. Being clear on your intention is also important. You have to take action. I have found that writing down my goals and reviewing them regularly provokes me to take the next most important action.
- Opportunity The more successful you become, the more you will be encouraged by other opportunities. For example speaking at a seminar, results in meeting a new potential collaborator in the audience. Articulating your goals and vision encourages others to help and align with you.
- Resistance. Every time you set out on a path – there will be hurdles, speed humps and puddles. This is often what stops us from persevering. Don’t focus on the resistance – focus on how you will feel once you have achieved your goal. From the moment you set a goal, you will begin to feel it. But if you focus on the resistance, it will only get tougher. The way to overcome resistance is to focus on the goal—the attainment you are aiming towards.
- Acquire a coach. Life can be complicated. It is particularly awkward when you aren’t seeing progress. You can feel you are not getting anywhere and become disenchanted as the negative speak wins over. A coach or mentor keeps you on track – reminds you what is important and can guide your written goals. Stepping stones on the way can help you achieve small wins, enable you to see how far you have progressed and how far you have to go. The coach or mentor can celebrate with you as you achieve your long held dream.
Goal setting and coaching support is critical to you achieving your goals.
Big goals? The bigger the better! Make 2017 different from other years.
To discuss your individualised support package and to help you discover the best you contact us today at Healthy Vitality firstname.lastname@example.org